The Best Advice for Planning your Wedding in 2021
Welcome to your wedding planning journey! Whether you are planning your wedding for the first time, or in the middle of replanning due to the pandemic, this post offers the best advice for planning your wedding in 2021, Covid Edition. Yes, I said the ‘C’ word! We may be in a brand new year, but we’re still in the middle of a worldwide pandemic. If you’re uncertain on where to begin or what to do next, read along and follow these 5 simple steps to get you from feeling overwhelmed to being in control of wedding planning.
Step 1: Have a heart-to-heart with your fiance(e)
Planning a wedding involves a whole lot of decision making, and the best way to get through it is by making decisions, together. Having a conversation is the best thing you can do to keep your wedding planning moving forward. If you haven’t done so, I encourage you to talk about the following:
- Check in with each other about how you’re feeling and be honest about it. Whether you do this daily, once a week, or once a month, asking your partner how they feel makes the world of a difference! Take turns sharing and listening. Once you’ve expressed your feelings, you can pin point what decisions need to be made, and how to tackle the next item on the to-do list.
- What does a beautiful wedding day look like for the both of you? What are your top 3 priorities, and what are the things that don’t really matter? Make a list and share it with each other. Not only will you see what you have in common, you’ll also realize what’s on your partner’s mind.
- How do you want to feel on your wedding day? I always ask my couples this, and I remind them of their answer throughout the planning journey. Why, do you ask? It helps put into perspective what really matters, and serves as a reminder to appreciate the journey.
Having this heart-to-heart will help clarify a lot of the unknowns. And only after doing so, can you move forward to the next step. Once you get to the end, you’ll see that coming back this first step is what will always help you move forward in wedding planning.
Step 2: The Guest List
This next step is huuuuge! And it is the very first question that I ask couples, because it’s really what begins the process of wedding planning, whether you’re doing it for the first time or re-planning for the second, third, fourth… tenth time. Here is what you need to ask yourself and your partner before anything else:
Who do you want at your wedding?
Pre-COVID, the sky was the limit when it came to the number of guests you can invite to your wedding. In today’s world, weddings are being limited to various gathering sizes. Knowing the answer to this question will accelerate your wedding planning, because it also allows you to answer the following questions:
- Where will you get married? Depending on your guest list, some venues are more appropriate than others. You’ll want a space large enough to accommodate your guests, but not too large that it no longer feels inviting.
- What is your budget? Having a larger guest list generally leads to having a higher budget in regards to the venue, the meal, and decor. Having a smaller guest list allows you to play with your budget and splurging on details like flowers, favours, stationery, etc.
- And the number one question that can be answered by talking about the guest list is…
To postpone or not to postpone… that is the question!
If I can only answer one question for you today, this would be it! And the answer is, who do you want at your wedding? Furthermore, ‘What is the minimum number of guests that you want present at your wedding, for both your ceremony and reception?’ Whether you are comfortable with having only 5, 10, 25 guests or you insist upon having 50, 100, or more guests, knowing this answer will alleviate some stress. If you are planning for a smaller guest list, chances are you will continue with your plans for 2021. If you are planning for a larger guest list, you will need to consider postponing and what that looks like. This brings us to the next step..
Step 3: Hire a Planner!
There is no better time to hire a wedding planner than right now! Having gone through 2020 with all the postponements, changes in rules and restrictions, having to up our wedding planning game, while keeping cool, calm and collected, a wedding planner by your side could be your saving grace! We walk with you every step of the way. We’re here when you want to vent, we help you explore your options by listing the pros and cons, and remind you to enjoy the journey because your wedding day will truly happen in a blink of an eye, and be over before you know it! Here are the top 3 reasons why you should hire us:
- We are professionals. It’s our job to help you check things off the list, and go over them twice. We are equipped with experience and knowledge, and we put out fires from the day you hire us all the way through the end of your wedding day!
- We have the connections you need. It’s been said that if you have a planner, you have it all! Vendors talk, and having a planner means getting your message across, faster. It also means vendor rates and discounts, as a way of saying thank you for letting us work with our friends in the industry!
- We want you to have the best day ever! We love being surrounded by love. It empowers us when we see you enjoying your day, and being present with your loved ones. This is our ultimate goal, and we really work for it!
Having a planner will also help you move right along to the next step, especially when you are in the middle of re-planning your wedding. If you are curious about what services we offer, just click here. We’d love to chat and see if we’d make a great fit. Plus, the first meeting is on us!
Step 4: Talk to your Vendors
The best thing you can do for your vendors during the entire wedding planning journey is keeping them in the loop. Whether it’s a small update like changing a word on your invites, or a more elaborate change like moving your wedding date, sending them a message sooner than later helps them plan better for your day. If you are considering postponing, have the conversation and ask about what that looks like. A few things to keep in mind when talking to your vendors:
- 2021 is a busy and strange year for us. We are helping both 2020 and 2021 couples, so be patient when waiting for a response. If you are thinking about postponing, let us know ASAP, so we can look into our availbility.
- COVID-19 policies. We are continuously adding clauses to our contracts to help protect our business and our couples. Ask your vendors what your options are if you need to postpone, and what the process is for updating your contract(s).
- Price Adjustments and/or fees. If you are a 2020 couple and had to postpone to 2021, your vendor most likely agreed to change your date at no additional cost. Remember that most of us can only work one wedding, so if you are looking to postpone a second or third time, a booking fee may apply.
- This is our livelihood. Many vendors are in the business full time. We rely on payments to pay our bills, put food on the table, and continue to run our businesses, which also means business expenses. This involves programs to run our websites and accounting systems, education and training to be on top of our game, equipment and office supplies, and the list goes on. We are in this for the long run, and we truly appreciate your business!
- We want you to have the best day ever! I’ve made this point above, but it may be the most important thing to keep in mind. We really do want the best for you, and we will do what it takes to help you have the best day ever. If there is something that we can improve on, give us your feedback and the opportunity to help you.
Talking to your vendors will help you determine how to move along with your plans. Listen to their advice, and ask them for help. It’s what you hired them for! And finally, my favourite tip of all…
Step 5: Celebrate your progress, no matter how big or small.
Like I said in the beginning, planning a wedding involves a lot of decision making, and your wedding day will be here before you know it! Make sure you celebrate your progress, no matter how big or small. Did you book your venue? Awesome! Have you picked out your wedding dress? Yay! Have you started on your seating chart? Great job! Progress is progress, and providing positive words of encouragement and appreciation to your partner will surely go a long way. Celebrate the best way you know how with a special dinner at home, or picking up your partner’s favourite treat from your local bakery. However you decide to celebrate, do it more often!
So there you have it, the best advice for planning your wedding in 2021!
If you feel stuck at any point during your wedding planning, just go back to step 1 and have that heart-to-heart with your partner. And if you’re curious about what following these 5 simple steps can do for you, feast your eyes on this highlight video from Rachelle and Cedric’s August 2020 Wedding! This wedding was planned in less than 3 weeks, and it is one of our most celebrated moments!
Thanks for reading!
Do you have any feedback on our post? Or any questions about wedding planning? Let us know in the comments below!
Are you looking for help with wedding planning? Contact us and let’s get planning!